When the kids come home from school, it is nice to have a treat waiting for them, something different and yet good for them. The recipe below, Energy Bars, was originally found from a book called Baking without fat by George Mateljan. However, every recipe can be changed a bit, which is what you will be seeing below, for ENERGY BARS:
- 1/3 c. honey
- 3/4 c. oat flour (about 1-1/3 c. rolled oats processed in a blender for about two to three minutes till ground fine like flour)
- 1/3 c. frozen apple juice
- I just juice an apple or 2
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 2/3 c. finely chopped dates
- 1/2 t. cream of tarter
- 2/3 c. raisins (or dried cherries)
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 2/3 c. finely chopped apricots
- 1/4 t. nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 t. cloves
- 1/2 c. old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1/2 c. crisp brown rice
- 2 eggs (found in health food store)
- 1 cup of chopped nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, over medium heat, bring honey and apple juice to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Then add dates, raisins, apricots and lemon juice. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In large bowl, combine rolled oats, cereal, flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- Stir in the fruit mixture, then vanilla, then eggs and mix until well blended.
- Spread the batter into 6 inch square oven proof glass baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Cool on wire rack for 20 minutes then cut into bars. This is also excellent frozen as it does not freeze completely – a neat, Healthy Snack!
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at dulceriabakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.