Amsterdam-inspired waffles, also known as Dutch stroopwafels, are a popular treat in the Netherlands and around the world. These waffles consist of two thin layers of baked dough with a caramel-like filling in the center. The dough is made with flour, butter, sugar, eggs, and yeast, and is cooked on a waffle iron to create a crisp, golden-brown exterior.
Once the waffles are cooked, they are sliced in half horizontally and a sticky syrup made from brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon is spread on the inside. The two halves are then pressed together to create a deliciously sweet and chewy treat that is perfect with a cup of coffee or tea.
Stroopwafels have a long history in the Netherlands, dating back to the late 18th century, and are a beloved snack that can be found in markets, bakeries, and supermarkets throughout the country. They have also become popular in other parts of the world, and are now a common treat at food festivals, coffee shops, and specialty stores in many countries.
Why should you use a waffle maker for Amsterdam-Inspired Waffles?
A waffle maker is essential for making Amsterdam-inspired waffles, as it allows the dough to be cooked evenly and creates the signature waffle shape and texture.
The dough for Amsterdam-inspired waffles is thicker and stickier than regular waffle batter, and it requires a high heat source to cook properly. A waffle maker provides this high heat source, and evenly distributes the heat to cook the dough through to a crispy exterior while keeping the interior soft and chewy.
Additionally, a waffle maker allows for the creation of the distinctive grid pattern on the waffles. This pattern not only gives the waffles a unique appearance, but also creates small pockets that can hold the syrup filling and enhance the overall flavor and texture of the waffle.
Trying to cook Amsterdam-inspired waffles without a waffle maker can be difficult and may result in unevenly cooked dough and a lack of the signature grid pattern. Therefore, using a waffle maker is the best way to achieve the delicious and authentic taste and texture of these beloved treats.
How to make Amsterdam-Inspired Waffles in a waffle maker
Here is a recipe for making Amsterdam-inspired waffles using a waffle maker:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1/4 cup warm milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the syrup filling:
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt.
- In another mixing bowl, cream together the butter and eggs until well combined.
- Dissolve the instant yeast in the warm milk, and then add it to the butter and egg mixture. Mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix until a dough forms.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat a waffle maker to medium-high heat.
- Roll the dough into small balls, about the size of a golf ball. Place one ball of dough in the center of the waffle maker, and press down the lid to cook for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove the waffle from the maker and immediately cut it in half horizontally using a sharp knife.
- While the waffle is still warm, spread a generous amount of the syrup filling onto the bottom half of the waffle. Place the top half of the waffle on top of the syrup, and press down gently to secure it in place.
- Repeat the process with the remaining dough balls until all the waffles are cooked and filled.
- To make the syrup filling, combine the brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is melted and smooth.
- Once the syrup filling is ready, keep it warm on low heat until you are ready to use it.
- Serve the waffles warm with a cup of coffee or tea. Enjoy!
Tips for making Amsterdam-Inspired Waffles in a waffle maker
Here are some tips to help you make perfect Amsterdam-inspired waffles using a waffle maker:
- Use a good quality waffle maker: Invest in a good quality waffle maker with a non-stick surface to prevent the dough from sticking and ensure even cooking.
- Let the dough rest: Letting the dough rest for at least 30 minutes allows the yeast to activate and helps to create a soft and chewy interior.
- Don’t overfill the waffle maker: Only use a small amount of dough for each waffle, and make sure not to overfill the waffle maker to prevent the dough from overflowing and sticking to the sides.
- Use a timer: Set a timer for 2-3 minutes and check the waffles frequently to ensure they are cooked to your desired level of crispiness.
- Keep the syrup warm: Keep the syrup filling warm over low heat while you cook the waffles to prevent it from solidifying.
- Cut the waffles immediately: Cut the waffles in half immediately after removing them from the waffle maker while they are still warm and pliable. This will make it easier to spread the syrup filling and create a perfect seal.
- Experiment with fillings: Try different types of fillings like Nutella, fruit jam, or honey to create your own unique Amsterdam-inspired waffle flavor.
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at dulceriabakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.