Many of us are intimidated when we see “one onion, finely chopped” in a recipe. Aside from the inevitable tears, they are challenging to cut into uniform pieces unless you have fundamental kitchen skills. If a recipe calls for more than 1 cup of any ingredient, you’ll spend more time at the cutting board than cooking. The most practical manual food choppers can quickly prepare ingredients that are unpleasant or difficult to cut with a knife.
A few factors to consider when deciding which helicopter to purchase since they all perform differently. Choose a spinning blade assembly chopper if you want to make complete recipes like salsas, dips, or sauces. You will be able to chop individual ingredients or combine them.
You may prefer a model with a lever-like operation if you value precision. Instead of being spun and chopped by multiple blades, ingredients are pressed through a grid to form perfect cubes. Determine the optimal operation to achieve the desired outcome and provide the safest experience.
Keep in mind that regardless of the type of chopper you select, some minimal preparation is necessary for optimal results. Certain ingredients should be cut into quarters or chunks to make them more manageable for the chopper.
The best manual food choppers do most of the work of chopping ingredients and preparing recipes quickly and safely. A bonus? These three helicopters are all less than $25.
Our Top Picks
$32.95 $39.99 $26.99 $79.99
What is a Manual Food Chopper?
A manual food chopper is a tool powered by human muscle, not electricity. Typically, this equipment is smaller than a food processor. They come in various materials, but they all chop food through motion. Press, push, and turn are these actions. Apple corers and egg slicers are two examples of food-specific chopping tools.
What are the uses for manual food choppers?
Manual food choppers are used to cut food so that no sharp blades meet the user. Manual food choppers are typically used for vegetables because they are firm and difficult to cut, but fruits and other foods may also be placed inside.
Type of Manual Food Choppers
The push design, also known as hand-slap design, is typical of manual food choppers. It consists of a lid with blades, a lid secured on top of the container with a type of grate for the food to pass through, and a container at the bottom to catch all the food. You place the food on top of the middle layer and then close the lid to chop the food into smaller pieces. Typically, this type of chopper is made of plastic and has metal blades.
A chopper’s press design is comparable to that of a French press coffee maker. Typically, food is placed in the bottom of a container, and the lid is snapped or screwed on. Then, you press the container’s handle, which presses the blade against the food. When the handle is released, the blade will retract into the top of the container. This chopper typically has a plastic and stainless-steel exterior and metal blades.
A chopper’s crank design utilizes a rotating handle, like a bicycle pedal, to chop food. Typically, this chopper has one large bowl with a blade at the bottom and a lid with a crank. Place the food in the bowl, cover it, and turn the handle. Typically, this design is made of plastic with a metal blade.
Benefits of using manual food chopper
If you enjoy cooking, you will know how long it takes to cut and chop fruits and vegetables uniformly before you can begin cooking. A chopstick will save you time.
- If you work during the day and don’t have time to cook from scratch in the evening, a food processor is an ideal for bulk chopping and weekly meal prep.
- After chopping chilies and garlic, one’s hands may develop an unpleasant odor or a burning sensation. As a result of vegetable choppers, this is unnecessary.
- Manual choppers do not require electricity and are helpful during extended power outages.
Considerations When Purchasing A Manual Chopper
Consider the following characteristics when shopping for a manual chopper:
- Size of the container – Before purchasing a vegetable chopper for your kitchen, inspect the bowl’s capacity. Some are small, while others are large. Some brands offer a large container ideal for families with 5 to 7 members, while the smaller container is perfect for families with 2 to 3 members.
- Warranty period: Each helicopter’s warranty period is unique. Check the warranty period before making a purchase.
- Attachments: Most manual choppers do not come with an extensive assortment of attachments, but some may have slicer and dicer attachments. You can decide based on your kitchen and family requirements.
Before purchasing a chopper, you must also consider the blade material and type, ease of use, and simplicity of cleaning.
10 Best manual food choppers for every kitchen
1. Best Overall: Ultra Chef Express Food Chopper – 7 in 1 Chopper
Ultra Chef Express Food Chopper – 7 in 1 Chopper, Mixer, Blender, Whipper, Slicer, Shredder and Juicer
This manual food chopper from Ultra Chef Express is the best for several reasons: Its 5-cup capacity is one of the largest for a manual food chopper, and it offers greater versatility than any other model. The Ultra Chef Express includes an assortment of attachments that allow it to chop, mix, slice, shred, julienne, whip, and even juice citrus. This single purchase could easily replace a handful of other appliances.
The large hand crank controls the blades, so the more you turn it, the finer the ingredients will become. The machine’s crank is positioned high so that the opposite hand can stabilize the bowl while in use. The rubber ring on the bowl’s base prevents slips for added safety, and the stainless-steel blades have a plastic handle for easy removal.
The bowl’s transparent sides allow you to monitor your progress, and the lid has a hole for adding ingredients in stages. The mandoline slicer and juicer attachments do not utilize the crank but instead fit snugly onto the bowl, allowing for the collection of ingredients in an orderly fashion. If you’re unsure how to use all accessories, the included recipe book is an excellent resource.
- Triple bladed Samurai chopping blades
- 7 in 1 Chopper, Mixer, Blender, Whipper, Slicer, Shredder and Juicer
- Safe & Convenient
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed
2. Kuhn Rikon manual food chopper
Kuhn Rikon Pull Chop Chopper/Manual Food Processor with Cord Mechanism, Green, 2-Cup
If you do not require the versatility or size of the Ultra Chef Express, this 2-cup manual food chopper from Kuhn Rikon is an excellent option. It holds the exact number of chopped vegetables required for the base of most soups or sauces, making it ideal for small tasks such as salsas, dips, and chopping nuts.
The pull-cord operation allows you to select the number of “pulls” necessary to achieve the desired result. Kuhn Rikon suggests five pulls for coarse results, ten pulls for satisfactory results, and fifteen pulls for extra-fine results. (The number of pulls you use will also depend on the texture of the ingredients you’re chopping and the amount of preparation you’ve performed.)
The stainless-steel blades are protected for safe removal and cleaning by a guard. While the bowl and blade are dishwasher-safe, the lid must be washed by hand so that its hollow design does not trap water.
- Save time spent on preparation and chopping – cut a wide variety of foods in seconds with the pull of a cord, which rotates the ultra-sharp, removable stainless-steel blades
- Pull the cord approx. 5 times for coarse cuts, approx. 10 times for fine cuts and approx. 15 times to create dips, sauces and more (watch the video to see the Pull Chop in action)
- Ideal for fruit, vegetables, garlic, herbs, boiled eggs, breadcrumbs etc – it’s even perfect for nuts
- 2-cup capacity container (diameter = 5”; height = 4.5”) stays in place via a non-slip base and the lid allows food to be stored in the fridge for when needed
- Container is both microwave and dishwasher safe (wash the lid by hand). A blade protector is included for when not in use (store within the container with the lid on)
3. Fullstar Vegetable Chopper
Fullstar Vegetable Chopper – Spiralizer Vegetable Slicer – Onion Chopper with Container – Pro Food Chopper – Black Slicer Dicer Cutter – 4 Blades
If you are looking for a food chopper that goes beyond a simple dice, this is the one for you. With interchangeable blades, you can create spirals, thin ribbons, and julienned vegetables in addition to chopping. This food processor eliminates the need for a mandoline slicer in the kitchen. The rust-resistant, heavy blades and non-slip, soft-grip handles make this product safer.
Everything is BPA-free and dishwasher safe on the top rack. You may chop vegetables in advance and store them in the catch tray until you are ready to cook. It’s ideal for anyone who prepares weekly meals, as you can chop a week’s worth of vegetables in minutes.
According to some users, the cleaning process may be more complex and time-consuming with this tool, even though it significantly reduces preparation time. The blades are incredibly sharp, so you must take extreme caution when cleaning them if vegetable residue gets stuck on them (luckily, a brush is included). However, the dishwasher is sufficient for lighter chopping tasks, according to others.
- Collecting Container
- Fine Dicer Blade
- Medium Dicer Blade
- Spiralizing Julienne Blade
- Spiralizing Ribbon Blade
- 2x Cleaning Brushes
- Cleaning Scraper
- Blade Lock Button
- Instruction Manual
4. Best Budget: Chef’n VeggiChop Hand-Powered Food Chopper
Chef’n VeggiChop Hand-Powered Food Chopper (Arugula), 5.5″ x 5.5″ x 5″
This hand-powered pull chopper requires effort (you must pull to activate the blades), but it yields excellent results. The chopper is lightweight and does not require electricity, making it easy to transport on the road or to a friend’s residence. Its razor-sharp blade makes quick work of dicing onions and chopping nuts, and reviewers appreciate that it requires only a few pulls.
The bowl also serves as storage for chopped ingredients: Remove the blade, replace the lid, and place the container in the refrigerator. It’s also simple to maintain: The bowl and lid are dishwasher-safe on the top rack. The Chef’n is available in arugula green or cherry red, making it a fun addition to your countertop.
Although this chopper is excellent for providing a break from holding a knife while mincing and chopping, several users recommend investing in a more durable model if you intend to chop frequently.
- Capacity: 0.5 liters
- Little to no prep needed
- Compact Storage
- Easy To Clean
5. Kwik-kut Cutlery Serrated Food Chopper
This vintage-style, one-piece chopper is well-liked for its lack of moving parts, jar, and extra pieces to keep track of. Press down into a bowl with a flat base to chop food. We discovered that it performed well with mushrooms, but we do not recommend it for tough vegetables. This could be incredibly useful for preparing tuna or egg salad in a shallow bowl, chopping avocado for chunky salsa, and slicing other soft foods.
This item is made of corrosion-resistant stainless steel but must be hand-washed. A deluxe model with a longer handle can chop greens in a pot, while a non-serrated model can be used to cut cookies or biscuits.
- Kwik Kut serrated food chopper for mincing and chopping nuts, fruits and vegetables, tenderizing meat, cutting cookies, biscuits, pastries and more
- Proudly made in America; stainless steel chopping ring measures 2. 875-Inch x. 75-Inch, wide handle is comfortable and keeps fingers out of harms way
- Simply Use up-and-down motion until desired texture is achieved; tenderize meat and blend pastry dough; saves time during food preparation
- Chop fruit, nuts, vegetables, salads, tuna, hard boiled eggs, onions, coleslaw, potatoes and more; great for quick healthy snacks
- Sturdy, durable, easy to use and clean; will never rust; much easier to clean than size A food processor; simply hand wash in warm, soapy water
6. Zyliss Zick Food Chopper
This chopper’s zigzag blade performs more cuts per push than choppers with X-shaped blades, and the blade rotates with each push for more even chopping. Wipers scrape food off the blade with each amount, so you won’t find large chunks of food stuck to the blades. However, during testing, we discovered that small pieces of wet foods, such as garlic tended to adhere to the top. It performed well with onions, carrots, mushrooms, and tomatoes but not so well with green peppers.
The chopper cup consists of two components: an inner cup that holds the food and an outer sheath. If the inner cup is removed, only the shroud can be used on a cutting board. The chopper is dishwasher safe and can be disassembled for cleaning. Included with the inner cup is a cover for the storage of prepared food.
- Smooth Vegetable Chopper: The stainless-steel blades on this food chopper offer smooth, easy cuts
- Veggie & Onion Chopper: This home gadget includes a lid and storage cup to keep chopped food fresh
- Convenient Kitchen Essential: The handle locks down for safe, compact storage in drawers or cabinets
- Kitchen Gadgets for Women & Men: Blade cover protects fingers while in use and easily lifts to clean
- Zyliss Kitchen Accessories: Zyliss kitchen tools are favored by everyday cooks & gourmet chefs alike
7. Best Manual Model: Norpro Big Mouth Chopper
Chopping onions is one of the most challenging kitchen tasks, especially for those who tend to get teary-eyed while chopping, not to mention the unpleasant odor that lingers on fingers. In testing, we discovered that this tool effectively sliced onions and that, unlike those with moving blades, it produced clean uniform slices. To force a halved onion through the blades, we needed to load the onion and push it down.
This product includes three distinct cutting grids: a 1/4-inch dice, a 3/8-inch dice, and a grid that creates 1/4-inch slices or strips. We especially liked the mushroom slicing blade. Additionally, we tested this with green peppers that required a bit of force to push through the blades. Carrots also performed well. Tomatoes were less productive.
The blades are made of stainless steel, and each component is dishwasher safe. The 6-cup container comes with a lid for storing food for later consumption. If the blades become dull over time, the manufacturer offers replacements.
- Measures: 4.25″ x 11″ x 4.25″ / 11cm x 28cm x 11cm; Capacity: 6C / 48oz
- Slice or dice onions, vegetables, fruit, garlic and cheese quickly and easily. Versatile, easy-to-use, timesaving!
- Three interchangeable cutting grids allow you to cut food into slices or two different dice sizes of 6mm and 9mm cubes.
- Two cleaning combs and storing lid included. All pieces store nicely in base.
- Sturdy construction and stainless-steel blades.
8. Best with Easy Storage: OXO Good Grips Chopper
This compact chopper has a 3/4-cup capacity and measuring marks up to 1 cup, allowing you to measure ingredients without a separate measuring cup. Even better, the cup has a lid, allowing foods to be prepared in advance and stored in the same container. A small spoon or spatula hangs from the chopper’s side, allowing you to scoop a portion of the chopped food or scrape it into your pot or bowl.
The blades are formed in a wave pattern and rotate for uniform chopping, while the non-skid base prevents the chopper from moving while in use. It performed well when tested with various vegetables, including onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, and carrots.
Like other choppers, it performed poorly with green peppers, but they were still acceptable for our recipe. This item is simple to disassemble and dishwasher safe after use.
Unfortunately, when we tested and washed it with dishes containing tomato residue, the spoon/spatula, and the cap became stained with tomato residue. Extra bowls with covers are available for purchase separately for those who prefer to do extensive pre-planning.
- Wave-pattern blades rotate evenly, chopping onions, nuts and other ingredients with precision
- Non-slip knob makes chopping safe and easy
- Scoop out chopped ingredients with included spoon, or snap lid on for a quick container
- Blade cartridge unscrews for speedy cleanup
- Symmetrical blade makes reassembly simple, knob locks down for smart storage
- Dishwasher safe, stainless steel blade
9. OXO Good Grips One Stop Chop Manual Food Processor
OXO Good Grips One Stop Chop Manual Food Processor
Locking tabs keep a lid in place during one-handed rotation. You obtain more secure and stable processing. Additionally, this item features an easily removable handle. With a simple turn, fruits and vegetables can be cut to perfection. Additionally, this accessory boasts a suction cup that securely stabilizes the device. Additionally, this unit is dishwasher-safe, saving you considerable cleaning time.
Additionally, you receive a worry- and hands-free cleaning experience. Due to its three sharp stainless-steel blades, the above food chopper saves a great deal of cooking time. As a result of the large bowl’s 4-cup capacity, you will no longer have a cluttered workspace during processing.
- Chop, mince or purée with a simple twist – the power is in your hands
- Three sharp, stainless-steel blades chop fruit, vegetables, nuts and more
- Secure suction cup stabilizes Food Processor while in use
- Locking tabs keep lid on for one-handed turning
- Dishwasher safe
10. The Pampered Chef Food Chopper
The Pampered Chef Food Chopper (#2585)-White
The plunger is designed with a plastic cap to make operation more comfortable. Additionally, this accessory has a transparent design to see what’s happening within the processor while it’s in use. In addition, this unit can be easily disassembled to facilitate dishwasher-safe cleaning. Moreover, the multipurpose functionality enables you to chop vegetables, nuts, cooked meat, and fruits in seconds.
If you dread slicing onions due to their propensity to tear, the sharp stainless-steel blades will quickly and efficiently slice through them. Moreover, the item in question features a flexible cap that can be used as a cover. Additionally, the cap can serve as a chopping board for small food items such as berries and fruits. In addition, the sleek design complements most of your kitchen’s aesthetic.
- Fitted with stainless steel blade
- Dishwasher safe top rack
- Measures 9¼” height, 3¼” diameter
Best manual food chopper for every kitchen – FAQs
Use a mini food chopper when a recipe calls for extensive chopping and mixing. The mini food chopper, also known as a mini food processor, is simple to use, compact and does not consume valuable counter space.
Here are several reasons why an electric food chopper may be superior to a food processor for your food preparation needs. If you have a small kitchen or limited storage space, a food chopper requires less cabinet or counter space. It offers a smaller bowl for processing small amounts.
If you are preparing a dish that requires a lot of chopping, such as salsa, chutney, or soup, a chopper can quickly work on these ingredients, allowing you more time to do other things. Additionally, food choppers help slice harsh ingredients such as nuts, herbs, and cooked meat.
You can reduce food preparation time by more than fifty percent. The wide availability of numerous devices increases your convenience and safety. The list above contains the best manual food choppers with outstanding features. For instance, rust-resistant stainless-steel blades facilitate rapid chopping. In addition, a sturdy bowl can hold all your items and has additional features.
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at dulceriabakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.