Dutch Oven Pizza is a delicious and easy-to-make pizza cooked in a cast iron Dutch oven. This type of pizza is a popular choice for camping trips and outdoor cooking, as the Dutch Oven can be used over an open fire or on a camping stove.
One of the benefits of making pizza in a Dutch Oven is that it allows for even heat distribution, which means that the pizza will cook evenly and not burn in certain areas. The cast iron construction of the Dutch Oven also helps retain heat, which helps create a crispy crust.
To make Dutch Oven Pizza, a simple dough is prepared and rolled out to fit the bottom of the Dutch Oven. The sauce, cheese, and toppings are added, and the Dutch Oven is placed over a heat source. The pizza is cooked until the crust is crispy and the cheese is melted.
Dutch Oven Pizza is a versatile dish that can be customized with various toppings to suit your tastes. It is also a great way to enjoy pizza while camping or outdoors. With its crispy crust and delicious toppings, Dutch Oven Pizza is sure to be a hit with pizza lovers of all ages.
Why should you cook pizza in a Dutch oven?
Cooking pizza in a Dutch oven is a great way to achieve a crispy crust and evenly cooked toppings. Here are some of the reasons why you should consider cooking pizza in a Dutch oven:
- Even Heat Distribution: The thick cast iron walls of a Dutch oven help distribute heat evenly throughout the pizza, which prevents hot spots and ensures that the crust and toppings cook evenly.
- Retains Heat: Cast iron is known for its ability to retain heat, which helps create a crispy crust and ensures that the toppings cook properly.
- Versatile: A Dutch oven can be used over an open fire, on a stove, or in an oven, which makes it a versatile tool for cooking pizza in a variety of settings.
- Portable: Dutch ovens are easy to transport, which makes them an excellent option for cooking pizza while camping or during outdoor gatherings.
- Customizable: Cooking pizza in a Dutch oven allows you to customize the toppings and experiment with new flavor combinations.
Overall, cooking pizza in a Dutch oven is a fun and easy way to enjoy this classic dish while achieving a crispy crust and even cooking.
How to cook pizza in a Dutch oven
Here are the steps to cook pizza in a Dutch oven:
- 1 pound frozen pizza dough, thawed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- 8 ounces bulk spicy pork sausage, cooked and drained
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- Optional: Minced fresh basil, red pepper flakes and grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the Dutch oven: Place the Dutch oven with its lid on over a heat source, whether on a stovetop or an open flame. Preheat the Dutch oven for about 10 minutes to ensure it is evenly heated.
- Prepare the dough: Roll out the pizza dough to fit the size of the Dutch oven, leaving some room for the crust to rise. You can either use pre-made dough or make your own.
- Add sauce and toppings: Once the dough is in place, add the sauce and toppings of your choice. Be careful not to overload the pizza with too many toppings, preventing the crust from cooking evenly.
- Cover and cook: Place the lid on the Dutch oven and cook the pizza for about 10-15 minutes, depending on the heat source and the size of the pizza. You can check the pizza periodically by lifting the lid to see if the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy: Once the pizza is cooked to your liking, remove it from the Dutch oven and slice it up. Serve and enjoy your delicious homemade pizza!
Tip: To prevent the pizza from sticking to the bottom of the Dutch oven, you can sprinkle some cornmeal or flour on the bottom before adding the dough. This will also add some extra texture to the crust.
Tips for cooking pizza in a Dutch oven
Here are some tips for cooking pizza in a Dutch oven:
- Preheat the Dutch oven: Make sure to preheat the Dutch oven for about 10 minutes before adding the pizza dough. This will help ensure that the pizza cooks evenly.
- Use the correct heat source: Whether you’re using a campfire, a stove, or an oven, it’s essential to use the correct heat source to cook the pizza. The heat should be moderate to high, but not too high, as it can burn the crust.
- Don’t overload with toppings: Be careful to fill the pizza with only a few toppings, as this can prevent the crust from cooking evenly. A general rule of thumb is to use at most 3-4 toppings.
- Use cornmeal or flour: Sprinkling cornmeal or flour on the bottom of the Dutch oven before adding the pizza dough can help prevent sticking and add texture to the crust.
- Monitor the pizza: Check the pizza periodically by lifting the lid to see if the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown. Depending on the heat source and the pizza size, it should take about 10-15 minutes to cook.
- Experiment with flavors: Cooking pizza in a Dutch oven allows you to experiment with different flavors and ingredients. Add new toppings, sauces, and cheeses to create unique and delicious pizzas.
Overall, cooking pizza in a Dutch oven is a fun and easy way to enjoy this classic dish while achieving a crispy crust and even cooking. With a bit of preparation and the right ingredients, you can create a delicious pizza perfect for any occasion.
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at dulceriabakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.