Pillow cakes are a delicious and fluffy dessert that originated in Taiwan. They are also known as “q wa q wa” cakes, which refers to the sound they make when bitten into. These cakes are similar to Japanese souffle pancakes but with a slightly denser texture.
Pillow cakes are made with a batter that includes egg whites, cake flour, sugar, and milk. The egg whites are whipped until stiff peaks form, and then carefully folded into the batter. This creates a light and airy texture that gives the cakes their distinctive pillow-like appearance.
Pillow cakes can be served with a variety of toppings, such as fresh fruit, whipped cream, or syrup. They are often enjoyed as a dessert or a sweet breakfast treat. Pillow cakes have gained popularity around the world and can now be found in many bakeries and cafes.
Why should you use a sandwich maker for Pillow cakes?
A sandwich maker can be used to make pillow cakes because it provides a stable and even cooking surface that allows the cakes to cook evenly on both sides. This is important for pillow cakes, as they need to be cooked slowly and evenly to achieve their characteristic fluffy texture.
Using a sandwich maker also allows you to cook multiple cakes at once, making it a more efficient and convenient method than using a stovetop griddle or frying pan. Additionally, the non-stick surface of a sandwich maker makes it easy to remove the cakes once they are cooked without sticking or tearing. Overall, a sandwich maker is a great tool to use when making pillow cakes at home.
How to make Pillow cakes in a sandwich maker
Here is a recipe for making pillow cakes in a sandwich maker:
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray or butter for greasing
- Preheat your sandwich maker on medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks, sugar, and milk together until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the egg yolk mixture until well combined.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Using a rubber spatula, carefully fold the beaten egg whites into the batter until no white streaks remain.
- Lightly grease the sandwich maker with cooking spray or butter.
- Pour the batter into the sandwich maker, filling each compartment about 3/4 of the way full.
- Close the lid and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the cakes are lightly golden brown and cooked through.
- Carefully remove the cakes from the sandwich maker using a spatula.
- Repeat steps 7-10 with the remaining batter, until all the cakes are cooked.
- Serve the pillow cakes warm with your desired toppings, such as fresh fruit, whipped cream, or syrup.
Note: The cooking time may vary depending on the brand and model of your sandwich maker. It’s important to check the cakes frequently to avoid overcooking or burning.
Tips for making Pillow cakes in a sandwich maker
Here are some tips for making Pillow cakes in a sandwich maker:
- Use non-stick cooking spray: Spray the sandwich maker plates with non-stick cooking spray before pouring the batter. This will help prevent the batter from sticking and make it easier to remove the cakes once they are cooked.
- Do not overfill: Pour the batter into the sandwich maker but do not overfill the plates. The batter will expand as it cooks, so leave some room for it to rise. Overfilling the plates may cause the batter to overflow and create a mess.
- Close the sandwich maker properly: Make sure to close the sandwich maker properly and securely. This will ensure that the batter is evenly cooked and that the cakes are fluffy and fully cooked.
- Check for doneness: Check the cakes for doneness by gently pressing on the top with your finger. If the cakes are firm and bounce back when you press on them, they are ready. If they are still soft, continue cooking for a few more minutes.
- Let them cool: Once the cakes are cooked, let them cool for a few minutes before removing them from the sandwich maker. This will help them set and prevent them from breaking apart when you remove them.
- Experiment with flavors: Pillow cakes are versatile and can be made with a variety of flavors. You can add chocolate chips, fruit, nuts, or spices to the batter to create your own unique recipe.
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at dulceriabakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.