- Prepare time: 2 hours
- Cook: 45 min
- Ready in: 2 hours and 50 min
This traditional Greek menu is very popular among chefs, because of its authentic process and lovely taste. The main ingredient in this menu is eggplants which later will be served with béchamel sauce, a Greek yogurt sauce. If you never try this before, then today is the right time to try.
How to make Traditional Geek Moussaka
To make this dish, you need to prepare some ingredients for the eggplants, the meat sauce and the béchamel sauce. For the complete steps, follow the explanation below.
- 5-6 eggplants
- vegetable oil or olive oil
For the meat sauce
- 750g chopped beef or lamb
- Two red chopped onions
- Two cloves of garlic, minced
- 400 gr chopped tomatoes
- 40 gr tomato puree
- 150 ml of red wine
- 32 gr olive oil
- Sugar, salt, and ground black pepper
- A pinch of grounded cinnamon
- A bay leaf
For the béchamel sauce
- 3 ½ cup of milk
- 120g butter
- 120g flour
- a pinch of nutmeg and salty cheese (Kefalotyri)
- Two egg yolks
- To begin cooking this meal, start by removing the stalks and then slice it into small pieces. Continue to season it with salt.
- Put and drain it in the colander for around 30 minutes. After that, rinse the eggplants with water and squeeze the remaining water.
- Next, fry the eggplants until golden brown. Then, place the fried eggplants onto paper to soak the oil. You also can bake the eggplants rather than fry it. By spreading few of olive oil on the eggplants, you can bake it in the oven for 20 minutes.
- To cook the meat sauce for the moussaka, you can start by preheating a large pan in a medium-high heat. Then, put all the meat sauce ingredients. Stir well and sauté the ingredients until boil.
- Next, lower the heat and simmer it for 30 minutes to evaporate the juice of the sauce.
- To make the béchamel sauce for the moussaka. Firstly, melt the butter in a large pan over low-medium heat.
- Add all the remaining ingredients of béchamel sauce into the pan and keep stirring the sauce while cooking.
- When you put the eggs, mix quickly and finish it up before it turns into an omellete.
- Arrange the moussaka in a large baking dish, started from the eggplants layer, the meat sauce, eggplants layer again and poured the béchamel sauce on it. Do the same for the second layer.
- Then spread the grated cheese and bake it at 180 celsius-degree for 60 minutes.
Luckily, you do not need any Greek people to guide you because these four steps can magically bring you to a very delicate traditional Greek moussaka.
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at dulceriabakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.