Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for pan
- 1 1⁄2 pounds eggplant, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 ounces whole-wheat or spelt penne
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 450°F.
Lightly coat a baking pan with oil. Place eggplant in the pan, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil, season with salt and pepper, toss to coat, and spread in an even layer.
- Bake, stirring once, until eggplant is lightly browned, about 25 minutes.
- While eggplant is roasting, cook pasta according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir in vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drain pasta, place in a large bowl, and add tomato mixture, eggplant, and cheese. Toss to combine, season with salt and pepper, and serve.
14 g fat
4 g saturated fat
18 g protein
62 g carbohydrate
12 g dietary fiber
320 mg sodium
Why Trust Us
You will find what you are looking for at dulceriabakery. From classic to luxury brands, you'll find both. We will help you to select appliances that fit your needs, budget and lifestyle. Whether you want to stop by to learn more — or plan to make a major purchase — we’ll treat you like family and assist you every step of the way. Shop with us today to receive friendly and experienced help along the way.